Our Latest Strategy on Buying

How many times have you found yourself stuck along the alleyways of shelves, immensely pondering whether to make that purchase?

It may be that new gadget that caught your interest; it may be that alluring black dress that captured your attention; or maybe that flamboyant shiny watch which would impress your peers.

Admittedly, I have been in such situations far too often then I should.

Impulse purchases seem to fuel much of my cravings to impress the people around me who I do not know and even those who I do know but do not like. This was one of the reasons why I previously could not accumulate savings.

And being brought up in a consumerism society though, is no sole excuse to my spendthrift habits.
I had only myself to blame for succumbing to the buying temptation.

My wife and me recently came up with a simple buying strategy, which allows us to instantly decide if to proceed with a particular purchase:

If we had to consider for more than 15 seconds on whether to make a particular purchase, it means that we should not even consider making that purchase.

If you need to consider, it means that that item is not suitable. Period.

Be it the higher price over value factor, or the less than practical aspect of the product, if the item does not instantaneously scream "yes, I need to be bought now!", then the item in question is actually a want and not a need.

Yes, we still do make purchases based on our wants.
Especially when the value we perceive to receive far exceeds the purchase price.
But thankfully, these occurrences are much rarer these days.

Comments

Popular Posts