Am not all that Comfortable in Water

Had just returned from Tioman, Malaysia, having struck off one of the items on my bucket list.

The scuba diving course syllabus was unexpectedly exhausting, which came as a surprise as I always saw myself as a decently strong swimmer in the swimming pool.

Maybe age played a factor to my struggles to keep up with the course work to obtain certification, but I can't be sure; All I was grateful for, was that I decided to do it now than later (although this bucket list of mine had been shelf-ed for numerous years and thankfully 2018 had been ear-marked as my year of action).

The biggest personal take away from this Open Water Diver Course was not completion and receiving the certification to dive, but the realization that I am not as comfortable in water as I had previously believed so.

The shivering chills from lengthy periods underwater, the weary feeling of having to only breathe through your mouth and the sour feeling of nausea from the constant push and pull of currents, topped my very unforgettable experience in briny water.

Above said, it is no conclusion that I had an awful time in Tioman. On the contrary, I thoroughly enjoyed the entire learning process and actually had a great time there!

All I would like to do, is to reflect on the times which I feel confident (sometimes over confident), but had to scamper to hold on to my wits to pull through to complete the tasks I initially foresee as a breeze. This Tioman diving trip was one such classic example and will be a personal reminder never to be over confident.

Have you ever been in such a scenario?
Happens to me sometimes...

If you have always wanted to learn how to scuba dive, I would highly recommend not to wait any longer. Time and tide (no pun intended) waits for no man, so do it now, while you still have the ability to.

Scuba diving is an extremely safe sport if you learn diligently from the professionals.
Sincere thank you to Scuba Ace and instructors Dyson and Bernard, for being strict with strong emphasis on safety, professionalism and orchestrating the entire Open Water Diver Course to be fun, fruitful, with such a lasting memories!



Comments

Popular Posts