Calm at the Barbers

Always loved having my hair cut since young.

It must have been shaped by the happy memories that I had as a toddler, whenever my hair was cut by my Dad's cousin, Uncle Michael.

The snipping sounds from the shears, the wet mist from the spray to discipline my lifeless dry hair and the stained white cloth over my little shoulders, was all I could remember.

And these nostalgic memories have been deeply embedded into my head, and have made my subsequent trips to the barbers ever since, something I always look forward to every time.

The constant growth of hair has gently reminded myself that every thing is in a constant flux of change; and counter-intuitively, even if the subject of discussion is dead.

And this constant change is an exciting journey with its fair share of crests and troughs.

What are the events in your life which you enjoy most that were shaped by your childhood memories?

"I was thinking today about the calm I felt when I closed my eyes and let the barber's fingers move through my hair, the sweetness of those fingers, the hair already starting to grow."

- Raymond Carver, What We Talk About When We Talk About Love

Comments

Popular Posts