New Experience with Running

We all tend to invest in many things externally and materially - that new watch, that new bag, that new sofa, that new car, that new house etc. But how often do we invest in ourselves? Maybe a new skill, a new experience?

One of the most important lessons that I had recently learnt, is investing in my mental health.
And I had been very fortunate to have accidentally stumbled upon that physical exercise is one of the ways to build mental strength and mental perseverance.

Running had been my main choice to exercise since the start of 2018, in an attempt to align my body and mind, working both in union.

The many reasons include its convenience - I can run anywhere, anytime without the need for expensive equipment or specific facilities.

But the main reason, which I had briefly mentioned in my earlier post, is that I hate running! But this running that I so much detest, surprisingly builds my mental tolerance and toughness.

Running to me is also a form of meditation, to spend un-distracted time with myself.

The awareness of the panting of the breath, sluggish leg movements, pain in the thighs, screams of the lungs to stop, have all become part and parcel of my weekly run. I learnt to accept them as they are, and understand that they are only but impermanent chatter.

As I observe these ever changing reactions in my body and maintain no reactive attention to them, I notice that my body just gives up complaining and continues with the run, knowing that their screams to stop, were falling on deaf ears. And I realized that the mind is much stronger than what I had initially perceived it to be.

And I could only observe these when I ceased having accompanying music, and just ran and simply listen to the rhythm of my breathing and the thumping of my feet as they strike the hard ground... the joy of running can be just that simple and blissful, if you choose to observe it with awareness.

“Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.” 
- Haruki Murakami, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

Comments

Popular Posts